Northampton Spencer 0-0 Newport Pagnell
United Counties League, Premier Division
Tuesday 29th September 2015
Kingsthorpe Mill, Northampton
6. SP – Lance Allen has a long range shot that goes wide.
7. NP – Josh Crawley launches a long cross from the right wing that is headed back across the area by Rob MacDonald for Fazel Koriya to attempt a scissor kick that flies harmlessly over.
16. NP – A short back pass by Curtis Avery is almost intercepted by Crawley but Josh Thompson manages to just get to the ball first.
19. SP – Mark Osborn saves as Allen attempts to poke the ball home.
25. NP – Sam O’Neill comes close to opening the scoring as he picks the ball up on the left before cutting across the area and forcing a diving save from Josh Thompson.
31. NP – Koriya releases O’Neill who’s cross is blocked by Alex Lowery.
32. SP – Josh Melling ventures forward down the right and with no other options available has a long range shot that is parried over by Mark Osborn.
33. NP – Liam Smyth produces a stunning pass to Crawley but Josh Thompson in the Spencer goal stays on his feet and manages to save with his legs.
34. NP – From the resultant corner Thompson saves from Adam Pryke’s header.
35. SP – Munya Matinyenga’s angled shot across the area goes wide.
36. NP – Koriya heads the ball on for Crawley only to be denied by Curtis Avery’s excellent clearance.
37. NP – Another Pryke header from a corner, this time only inches over.
49. NP – Newport start the second half in the same vein that they finished the first as Koriya passes to Crawley who shoots wide.
62. NP – MacDonald crosses for Crawley on the edge of the area, he controls the ball with his chest before shooting wide.
63. SP – Liam Tuck passes to the unmarked Allen but the ball flies inches over his head
66. NP – MacDonald combines with O’Neill, his shot is cleared two yards short of the goal line.
67. NP – With possibly the best move of the game, Darryl Smith marauds down the left wing before unleashing a fierce shot that is brilliantly saved by Thompson.
69. SP – Matt Long has a great chance to put the hosts ahead but only manages to scuff his shot from two yards out.
72. SP – Long once again fluffs his lines missing a free header from eight yards.
76. NP – A delicious ball from Darryl Smith to O’Neill who fires over.
82. NP – O’Neill tries to test the keeper from twenty five yard but his shot sails wide of the mark.
83. NP – Koriya supplies an inch perfect pass but Crawley’s header is just over the intersection of bar and post.
86. NP – Crawley flips the ball up for Darryl Smith who shoots wide.
88. SP – Excellent play by Jack Bartley who chests, turns and shoots all in one movement, forcing a save from Osborn.
90+3. NP – With Newport pushing for a winner, Koriya crosses only to see the ball agonisingly hit the heels of the onrushing O’Neill only a few feet from the goal line. Spencer clear the ball as the final whistle is blown.
This was a scrappy game littered with petty fouls. The Swans were dominant throughout but failed to convert any of their numerous chances. However, Spencer were never out of the game and posed a creditable goal threat of their own. Curtis Avery’s long throw is a big weapon in their arsenal and without the alert defending of the Newport back four this tactic could easily have paid dividends. Once again, Liam Smyth controlled the midfield and was outstanding in mopping up Spencer’s through balls and in setting up many of the Swan’s attacking moves.
Munya Matinyenga (14 mins)
Liam Tuck (53 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town:
Adam Pryke (38 mins)
Rob MacDonald (53 mins)
1. Josh Thompson
2. Josh Melling
3. Liam Tuck (15. Jamie Inwood, 87 mins)
4. Curtis Avery
5. Alex Lowery
6. Munya Matinyenga
7. Matt Young
8. Sean McBride
9. Lance Allen (12. Jack Bartley, 67 mins)
10. Luke Stone (c)
11. Ashley Clamp (14. Luke Bartley, 77 mins)
16. Stuart Lutter
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Rob Tapp
3. Keith Williams
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Rob MacDonald (15. Lukasz Filipiak, 74 mins)
8. Darryl Smith
9. Josh Crawley
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill
12. Scott Mulkern
14. Lewis Smith
16. Josh McAdoo
– Paul Mihalache
– Stephen Biggs
– Jayden Orritt
Photograph by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn