Huntingdon Town 2-3 Newport Pagnell
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 3rd October 2015
Jubilee Park, Huntingdon
8. HU – GOAL 1-0. Jordan Brockett intercepts the ball on the half way line, taking two strides forward and with no passing options available he launches a speculative punt towards goal. The striker is as surprised as everyone else in Jubilee Park when he watches as the ball evades the diving Mark Osborn to nestle in the back of the net to open the scoring.
15. NP – Josh Crawley’s header is over the bar.
17. NP – Josh Crawley passes to Sam O’Neill who stumbles as he prepares to shoot, the ball rolling harmlessly over the goal line for a goal kick.
22. NP – Josh Crawley almost finds Rob MacDonald in the area but the pass is cut out by Jake Shepherd.
27. HU – Aaron Petty threads a through ball to Alex Shepherd who touches the ball past the advancing keeper and over the bar.
30. NP – Rob Tapp releases Fazel Koriya who’s cross hits Josh Crawley, preventing the ball’s passage to the unmarked Rob MacDonald who was waiting to pull the trigger.
33. HU – GOAL 2-0. Jordan Brockett plays a one-two with Jack Jefferson before trying his luck from forty yards. In a near carbon copy of his first goal, Brockett’s willingness to strike on goal from distance pays dividends as he beats Osborn to bag himself a brace and double the Cromwellian’s lead.
36. HU – Keeper Osborn slices a back pass from Stuart Smeathers but with Huntingdon not committing any players up front the Swans easily mop up the loose ball under no pressure.
38. NP – A beautifully delivered free kick from O’Neill finds Koriya who heads narrowly wide.
41. NP – O’Neill provides a tantalising cross from the left that Crawley heads over.
44. NP – Koriya passes to MacDonald who beats a defender before electing to shoot when a pass to the unmarked Koriya may have been the better option.
45. NP – O’Neill shoots over from distance.
46. NP – Darryl Smith shoots wide from the the right hand edge of the box.
49. NP – A well delivered corner by Darryl Smith is headed just over by Adam Pryke.
53. NP – Following a goalmouth melee Greg Ling’s low shot is deflected for a corner by the outstretched foot of Callum Walter. Another good corner from Darryl Smith sees Keith Williams head wide of the target.
57. HU – Alex Shepherd gets his head to a free kick but his attempt is easily saved by Osborn.
61. NP – GOAL 2-1. An inch perfect delivery by Darryl Smith allows Crawley to glance a header into the path of Pryke who’s sweet strike finds the bottom right hand corner of the net.
64. NP – With the Swans turning up the pressure, Carl Mackney’s weak punch is seized upon by Ling, Mackney fumble Ling’s shot before gratefully collecting the ball.
65. NP – Crawley chases a long ball but is denied by a clear handball by Walter (already on a yellow card), the referee waves away Newport’s claims for a penalty and allows play continue.
68. NP – Ling’s shot is blocked by Walter.
76. NP – Crawley’s shot is saved by the legs of Mackney. Liam Smyth tries a floated chip from the rebound that is easily caught by the keeper.
78. NP – GOAL 2-2. Ling fires in the equaliser following an assist from Darryl Smith.
80. NP – GOAL 2-3. Darryl Smith is upended in the box and this time the referee awards a penalty to the Swans. Scott Mulkern coolly slots home the spot kick to put Newport in front for the first time in the game.
89. NP – Lukasz Filipiak overlaps with Mulkern on the right before delivering a cross to the head of O’Neill who guides the ball to Darryl Smith who is denied by Mackney.
90+3. NP – Darryl Smith has an attempt from thirty yards that is palmed away by Mackney.
The management teams of both sides would have been looking for a reaction and both sides can take encouragement from what they saw. Huntingdon set their stall out to stiffen the defence to stem the flow that had seen them concede an average of almost five goals a game so far this campaign. The first half saw Huntingdon take a surprise two goal lead, however, it was the solidity of their defence that they will take heart from. Newport struggled to break down the Cromwellian defence and their anxiousness showed as they rushed their game and lost composure.
The second half saw the introduction of Greg Ling, which gave the Swan’s a better shape and allowed Liam Smyth to concentrate on the role that suits him best. Newport were not about to roll over and give Huntingdon the break they need and as the half wore on Smyth imposed his influence and once the Swan’s gained a foothold in the game, through Adam Pryke’s goal, Huntingdon showed their mental fragility and started to struggle. It was only a matter of time until Newport equalised and subsequently took the lead as their opponent’s focus shifted from stout resistance to infighting and indiscipline.
1-0 Jordan Brockett (8 mins)
2-0 Jordan Brockett (33 mins)
2-1 Adam Pryke (61 mins)
2-2 Greg Ling (78 mins)
2-3 Scott Mulkern (penalty, 80 mins)
Jordan Brockett (31 mins)
Callum Walter (60 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town:
Greg Ling (66 mins)
1. Carl Mackney
2. Tom Stidwell (15. Alex Norman, 77 mins)
3. Paul McFarlane (14. Ben Heath, 78 mins)
4. Jake Shepherd
5. Callum Walter
6. Mark Ling
7. Jamie Waterworth
8. Alex Shepherd
9. Aaron Petty (c)
10. Jordan Brockett
11. Jack Jefferson
12. Luke Young
16. Tom Hollick
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Rob Tapp (12. Scott Mulkern, 46 mins)
3. Keith Williams
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Rob MacDonald (15. Lukasz Filipiak, 85 mins)
8. Darryl Smith
9. Josh Crawley
10. Fazel Koriya (16. Greg Ling, 46 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill
14. Lewis Smith
17. Josh McAdoo
– Vincenzo Byatt
– Ryan Allison
– Michael Chalkley MBE BEM
Player profile photos courtesy of Kelly Parsons.
All other photos taken by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn