Newport Pagnell 1-0 Kirby Muxloe
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 10th October 2015
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
5. KM – Sam Wilson passes to Daniel Sheehan, his tame shot is saved.
6. NP – Liam Smyth produces a wonderful pass to Fazel Koriya on the left who, in turn, passes to Sam O’Neill who sees his shot deflected behind for a corner.
9. KM – Scott Mulkern’s headed back pass falls short and is intercepted by Stuart Verrall who flicks the ball just past the post.
11. NP – Liam Smyth releases Keith Williams who shoots wide of the mark.
14. KM – Stuart Verrall’s weak shot is cleared by Adam Pryke.
16. KM – Stuart Verrall looks offside but the assistant referee’s flag stays down as the striker breaks free only to shoot wide.
19. NP – A Sam O’Neill corner reaches Darryl Smith who flicks the ball through his legs and wide of the target.
23. NP – Dan Agar’s attempted clearance hits Josh Crawley but the rebound goes behind for a goal kick.
33. NP – Dan Agar’s back pass is only just collected by keeper Warren Butlin with Josh Crawley waiting to pounce.
34. NP – Fazel Koriya releases Sam O’Neill on the left flank, his cross is punched clear by keeper Warren Butlin only as far as Scott Mulkern who shoots wide.
37. KM – Tyler Love’s cross from the right is easily collected by Mark Osborn in the Newport goal.
37. NP – A quick break by the Swans sees a lovely interchange of passes between Keith Williams, Fazel Koriya and Darryl Smith before the ball comes back to Williams in the area but his shot is excellently saved by the legs of Warren Butlin.
38. NP – Sam O’Neill produces another fine corner, this time to the head of captain John Thorpe, his strong header is blocked on the goal line by David Wessledine.
39. KM – Daniel Sheahan twists and turns before passing to Aaron Love who is denied by a point blank save from Mark Osborn.
40. KM – Aaron Love’s free kick into the box is wasted as it flies harmlessly over the bar for a goal kick.
45+1. NP – Darryl Smith crosses from the right wing but Fazel Koriya can only head wide.
Half Time: 0-0
47. KM – Aaron Love passes to Stuart Verrall, Mark Osborn routinely saves the low shot.
47. NP – Jamie Cooper passes the ball back to keeper Warren Butlin who, unable to pick the ball up, has to tackle Josh Crawley to stop him from scoring.
49. NP – Darryl Smith runs across the top of the penalty area before shooting well wide.
50. NP – A fantastic, inch perfect pass by Fazel Koriya finds Darryl Smith who, with equally impressive skill, controls the ball before forcing a brilliant save from Warren Butlin.
54. NP – Sam O’Neill’s vicious, curling corner is headed off the goal line by David Wessledine.
55. KM – Aaron Love finds Stuart Verrall who can only lob the ball high over the bar.
59. KM – A fine pass from Luis Cabrol to Wade Ball results in a weak shot that is easily saved by Mark Osborn.
68. NP – Darryl Smith’s direct run and driven shot is deflected behind for a corner.
69. NP – Yet another quality delivery from a corner by Sam O’Neill causes confusion in the Kirby defence as they struggle to clear their lines.
72. NP – Sam O’Neill crosses from the left flank to Greg Ling who attempts an overhead kick that goes just wide.
76. NP – Sam O’Neill’s corner is expertly punched off the head of Fazel Koriya by Warren Butlin.
79. NP – Darryl Smith heads over following a long throw in.
83. KM – Stuart Verrall heads over from a Wade Ball corner.
84. KM – A poor punched clearance from Aaron Love’s corner falls to Sam Wilson who can only poke the ball wide under pressure from Lewis Smith.
86. NP – GOAL 1-0. A delicious pass by Scott Mulkern releases Josh Crawley who flips the ball over the head of the advancing David Wessledine before coolly slotting the ball home past keeper Warren Butlin.
87. NP – Lukasz Filipiak beats Conor Brown-Wingfield and Tyler Love before passing to Darryl Smith who tries a long range shot that is easily saved.
Full Time: 1-0
The first half of this match was evenly contested by two sides that wanted to play good passing football. The Newport back four was bolstered by the welcome return of club captain John Thorpe, making his first appearance of the season after breaking his collar bone in the last minute of the last of the pre-season warm up games. The Muxloe forward line were no match for Thorpe and the ever reliable Adam Pryke and were subsequently reduced to half chances. The only time they managed to breach the solid defensive line was when Aaron Love was brilliantly denied by Mark Osborn’s point blank save. At the other end the Swan’s found it difficult to break down Muxloe’s high defensive line and were caught offside on numerous occasions. They too were only living off half chances with the exception of Thorpe’s commanding header from a set piece that was blocked on the line.
In contrast, the second half belonged to Newport as Kirby were forced on to the back foot. Their defence sat deeper and deeper as the Swans patiently applied pressure and managed to get behind the Muxloe defensive line with increasing regularity. Greg Ling and Liam Smyth began to control the game and the impressive Darryl Smith was unlucky not to open the scoring with fifty minutes on the clock, denied by the acrobatics of Warren Butlin in the Kirby goal. Muxloe showed a lot of spirit and still managed to carve a couple of chances of their own but never managed to produce a realistic threat in front of goal. Newport stuck to their game plan and continued to turn the screw, their patience was deservedly rewarded four minutes from time with a classy Josh Crawley goal that proved to be the winner.
Kirby Muxloe drew their opening game and then managed an eight game winning streak before succumbing to the Swans for their first league defeat of the season. Newport manager, Darren Lynch, will be pleased with the character and maturity that his side showed against the form team in the division. He will also be looking for the Swan’s to push on and create a winning streak of their own following some indifferent results in recent weeks.
1-0 Josh Crawley (86 mins)
Luis Carbel (90+3 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Scott Mulkern
3. Keith Williams (14. Lewis Smith, 73 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling
9. Josh Crawley
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill (12. Lukasz Filipiak, 83 mins)
15. Josh McAdoo
1. Warren Butlin
2. David Wesseldine
3. Dan Agar
4. Sam Wilson (c)
5. Jamie Cooper
6. Tyler Love
7. Wade Ball
8. Daniel Sheahan (14. Conor Brown-Wingfield, 78 mins)
9. Stuart Verrall
10. Luis Cabrol
11. Aaron Love
12. Jonny Tature
Referee – Matthew Lake
Assistants – Paul Cooper, Brian Ebulubu
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
Player profile photos courtesy of Kelly Parsons.
Photo of Jaycee May O’Connor courtesy of Rebecca Hall.
This season Newport Pagnell Town FC, Swan Confidential matchday programme and The View From The Shed are proud to support 4 year old Jaycee May O’Conner, a local girl who has Rett Syndrome.
The rare condition, that predominantly affects girls, stunts development of the brain and leads to rapid regression and a loss of skills such as crawling or sitting.
This means that Jaycee May is unable to talk and she also has regular seizures.
Her family are trying to raise funds to buy life changing Tobii Eyegaze technology, the equipment that will finally give Jaycee May a voice and enable her to communicate with others, something that we all take for granted.
For more information on Rett Syndrome and how you can help improve Jaycee May’s quality of life please follow the links below:
© Andy Gunn