Newport Pagnell 0-1 Wisbech Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 17th October 2015
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
1. WT – Mark Osborn easily saves from Nick Davey who scuffs his shot.
2. WT – Nick Davey has a tame, long range effort that Mark Osborn kicks clear.
3. NP – Josh Crawley charges down Aaron Butcher’s kick and is unlucky as the keeper only just manages to fall on the ball in time to prevent a goal.
10. NP – John Thorpe’s through ball is half cut out by Luke Wilson, the ball falls to Josh Crawley who forces a good save out of Aaron Butcher.
13. WT – Matt Sparrow tries a long range shot that is easily saved by Mark Osborn.
14. NP – Greg Ling out paces Luke Hipwell down the left flank before delivering a lovely cross that is inches away from Josh Crawley’s head.
16. NP – Keith Williams passes to Sam O’Neill but Luke Wilson and Aaron Butcher combine to clear the danger.
18. NP – The Swan’s calls for a penalty following an Ellis Humble hand ball are waved away as the referee judges the indiscretion to be accidental.
19. NP – A Keith Williams cross from the left is claimed well by Aaron Butcher.
22. WT – GOAL 0-1. Newport goal keeper Mark Osborn will be disappointed to have been beaten from thirty yards by the unmarked Matt Sparrow.
41. WT – Mark Osborn pulls off a good save from a Nick Davey shot.
43. NP – RED CARD. Darryl Smith has a moment of madness as he swings an elbow at Luke Hipwell and is correctly shown a straight red card. However, Hipwell’s two footed lunge that sparked the incident somehow goes unpunished. The defender should be completely ashamed for unnecessarily and pathetically rolling over five times.
45+3. WT – Robert Hughes strikes a free kick that glances the top of the crossbar.
Half Time: 0-1
46. NP – Josh Crawley’s shot is easily saved by Aaron Butcher.
51. WT – A beautiful cross from substitute Stuart Cobb is completely messed up by Robert Hughes, his shot going behind him towards his own goal.
53. NP – Keith Williams sets up a spectacular Greg Ling overhead kick that is met with an equally spectacular save from Aaron Butcher who tips the ball over the bar.
57. NP – Liam Smyth carries the ball twenty yards before providing a perfect pass for Josh Crawley, Aaron Butcher collects Crawley’s weak shot.
59. WT – Nick Davey heads the ball backwards and over the bar from a William Smith corner.
62. NP – Scott Mulkern does some great work down the right wing before passing to Greg Ling who in turn finds Fazel Koriya but his shot is not good enough to beat Aaron Butcher.
71. WT – Stuart Smeathers blocks a Luke Kennedy pile driver.
72. WT – Robert Hughes robs the ball off Stuart Smeathers but completely fluffs his shot with only keeper Mark Osborn to beat.
74. NP – Aaron Butcher catches Sam O’Neill’s direct free kick on the goal line.
87. NP – Ellis Humble blocks a Lukasz Filipiak shot.
89. NP – Aaron Butcher just manages to recover in time to save a Fazel Koriya lob.
Full Time: 0-1
Some teams have a bogey side and for Newport Pagnell that side is Wisbech Town – the Fenmen have won all six meetings between the two sides since they joined the UCL. This was not a good game to watch, it was a tetchy affair as Wisbech looked to change their recent form that had left them without a league win in seven attempts. They started relatively quickly but soon tried to slow the game at every opportunity and relied heavily on a long ball game. The Swan’s were sluggish, too static and ultimately struggled to get a foothold in a largely uneventful first half. The two stand out moments were the diminutive Matt Sparrow’s speculative shot on goal that provided the winner and, of course, the sending off of Darryl Smith.
The ten men of Newport dominated the second half and they will consider themselves unlucky to not get a draw out of the match. In defence Adam Pryke and John Thorpe were magnificent against a barrage of high balls, they hardly missed a header between them which was no mean feat considering Nick Davey backed into them, making no attempt to win the ball, at virtually every challenge. Aaron Butcher in the Wisbech goal deserves special mention as his string of good saves proved to be the difference between the sides.
After having watched two good footballing sides in Leicester Nirvana (twice) and Kirby Muxloe in recent weeks it was disappointing to see a Wisbech side that continually wasted time, play acted and showed little or no respect for the officials by persistently haranguing the referee. The time wasting was classically illustrated when goal keeper Aaron Butcher shouted “how long left lino” to the assistant referee in the 65th minute! All in all, this was an unexpected win for the Fenmen who have now completed the season double over the Swans.
0-1 Matt Sparrow (22 mins)
Luke Kennedy (65 mins)
Robert Hughes (76 mins)
Darryl Smith (43 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Scott Mulkern (16. Rob MacDonald, 80 mins)
3. Keith Williams (14. Stuart Smeathers, 64 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling
9. Josh Crawley
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill (15. Lukasz Filipiak, 87 mins)
12. Lewis Smith
17. Josh McAdoo
1. Aaron Butcher
2. Luke Hipwell
3. Scott Johnson
4. Ellis Humble
5. Jonathan Fairweather (c)
6. Luke Wilson
7. Matthew Sparrow (16. Stuart Cobb, 49 mins)
8. Steven Reid (14. Luke Kennedy, 52 mins)
9. Nick Davey
10. Robert Hughes
11. William Smith (12. Nathan Horne, 83 mins)
15. Jack Brand
Referee – Ben Weldon
Assistants – Peter Moore, Fqis Ziejewski
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
Player profile photos courtesy of Kelly Parsons.
Photo of Jaycee May O’Connor courtesy of Rebecca Hall.
This season Newport Pagnell Town FC, Swan Confidential matchday programme and The View From The Shed are proud to support 4 year old Jaycee May O’Connor, a local girl who has Rett Syndrome.
The rare condition, that predominantly affects girls, stunts development of the brain and leads to rapid regression and a loss of skills such as crawling or sitting.
This means that Jaycee May is unable to talk and she also has regular seizures.
Her family are trying to raise funds to buy life changing Tobii Eyegaze technology, the equipment that will finally give Jaycee May a voice and enable her to communicate with others, something that we all take for granted.
For more information on Rett Syndrome and how you can help improve Jaycee May’s quality of life please follow the links below:
© Andy Gunn