Peterborough Northern Star 2-1 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 28th November 2015
Branch Brothers Stadium, Peterborough
Minute By Minute
1. PNS – Mark Osborn saves from an early Declan Rogers shot.
2. PNS – Declan Rogers hits a twenty five yard free kick high over the bar.
6. NPT – A quick free kick from Bruno Lobo Brito is flicked on by Fazel Koriya but Dom Lawless miss hits his shot harmlessly wide.
7. NPT – A good cross from Sam O’Neill is hit back across goal and narrowly wide by Fazel Koriya.
12. PNS – Jacob Joyce whips in a cross that is only just above the head of Harry Fitzjohn.
15. PNS – Jack Jefferson shoots wide from twenty yards.
16. PNS – GOAL 1-0. Harry Fitzjohn’s cross is heavily deflected and Jacob Joyce bundles the ball over the line to open the scoring.
21. PNS – Mark Osborn saves Jacob Joyce’s long range shot.
24. PNS – Declan Rogers fires in a hard shot that is palmed away by Mark Osborn.
36. NPT – Sam O’Neill produced a pin point pass to Greg Ling who sees his diving header brilliantly saved by Daniel George.
40. NPT – Bruno Lobo Brito strikes a free kick into the wall and then hits the rebound wide of the target.
45. PNS – A strong run by Jacob Joyce sees him denied by a great blocking tackle from John Thorpe.
45+2 HALF TIME: 1-0
46. NPT – Bruno Lobo Brito shoots wide.
52. NPT – Stuart Smeathers heads a Fazel Koriya free kick inches over the crossbar.
55. PNS – Andrew Buckle shoots high.
58. PNS – GOAL 2-0. Jacob Joyce stabs the ball home from a long Declan Rogers free kick.
65. NPT – Sam O’Neill threads the ball through to Greg Ling who flicks the ball towards goal, Daniel George saves.
68. NPT – GOAL 2-1. Josh Crawley slots the ball past the advancing Daniel George to score for the Swans.
72. PNS – Mark Osborn tips a Declan Rogers shot over the bar.
90. NPT – Stuart Smeathers heads a Keith Williams free kick over the crossbar.
90+3. PNS – Declan Rogers shoots into the arms of Mark Osborn.
90+5. NPT – A Keith Williams free kick is desperately scrambled clear by the Star defence.
90+6.5 FULL TIME: 2-1
A hard working, determined display by Star was enough to take all three points as Newport came crashing back down to earth following their 7-0 midweek thrashing of Northampton Spencer. The match was keenly contested, scrappy affair, however, both sets of players performed admirably in strong winds and icy, driving rain. Star controlled the first half with some clever running and crisp passing. The Swan’s started slowly and it was not until after the break that they started to show anything close to the form that had lifted them to second place in the table. They will be disappointed to have conceded two goals that they will consider were avoidable. Star’s good build up play probably deserved goals of a better quality but they will have no complaints. Newport’s front line appeared to be quite flat, giving those behind little opportunity for creative passing and too many times the ball was slung forward, the result made it easy for a disciplined Star defence to mop up any long balls. The introduction of Josh Crawley added a new dimension, the front men became more lively and it was not long before Crawley scored to put the Swan’s back in the game. Newport pushed hard for an equaliser but did not manage to test Daniel George in the Star goal.
1-0 Sam Phillips (16 mins)
HT : 1-0
2-0 Jacob Joyce (58 mins)
2-1 Josh Crawley (68 mins)
Peterborough Northern Star:
Hayden Bream (90+5 mins)
Peterborough Northern Star:
1. Daniel George
2. Hayden Bream
3. Michael Mackrell
4. Christian Le
5. Callum Madigan
6. Sam Phillips
7. Declan Rogers
8. Harry Fitzjohn
9. Jacob Joyce (c)
10. Jack Jefferson (15. James Hill-Seekings, 75 mins)
11. Christopher Jones (14. Andrew Buckle, 37 mins)
12. Chris Hassan
16. Bobby Bick
17. Sam Palmer
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Rob Tapp (14. Rob MacDonald, 89 mins)
3. Keith Williams
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Stuart Smeathers
7. Bruno Lobo Brito (12. Josh Crawley, 62 mins)
8. Greg Ling (15. Darryl Smith, 75 mins)
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill
16. Lewis Smith
– Joseph Karram
– Jack Partridge
– Ben Haigh
Photograph by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn