Deeping Rangers 1-0 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 5th December 2015
Haydon Whitham Stadium, Market Deeping
Minute By Minute
4. DR – A neat one-two between David Burton-Jones and Scott Mooney saw the Claret’s captain thwarted by a classy Adam Pryke tackle.
9. NP – Sam O’Neill latches onto a Liam Smyth through ball but his shot is cleared by Luke Hunnings.
14. NP – Greg Ling shoots from distance to force a fine save from Danny Bircham, Josh Crawley firing over from the rebound.
19. NP – Darryl Smith receives the ball from Fazel Koriya before turning and shooting, bringing Danny Bircham into action again. The clearance by the goal keeper falls to Keith Williams who shoots well wide.
24. NP – Darryl Smith’s shot is deflected wide by Jack Cotton.
28. NP – Darryl Smith strikes a free kick straight into the arms of Danny Bircham.
29. DR – Luke Avis sets Dan Flack free, Robert Tapp clears the danger.
31. NP – Greg Ling shoots wide.
32. NP – Sam O’Neill’s corner is missed by everyone, Danny Bircham does well to react to clear his lines.
45+2.5 HALF TIME: 0-0
46. NP – A lovely one-two between Fazel Koriya and Sam O’Neill sees Danny Bircham pull off a great save.
50. DR – Spencer Tinkler shoots high and wide from distance.
51. DR – GOAL 1-0. One of the most bizarre goals of the season, Darryl Smith’s clearance is caught by the strong wind, the ball sails back over his head towards goal keeper Mark Osborn who controls the ball with his chest, fearing the referee will blow for a back pass. The ball takes an awkward bounce off the turf and lands at the feet of Scott Mooney who gratefully slots the ball home despite the heroic attempted goal line clearance by John Thorpe.
62. NP – Adam Pryke shoots high and wide.
73. DR – Mark Osborn saved Jason Kilbride’s long range shot.
75. DR – John Thorpe deflects a David Burton-Jones shot wide.
76. DR – Luke Avis shoots over from distance.
79. NP – Sam O’Neill delivers a pin point corner to Fazel Koriya who sees his header saved by Danny Bircham.
87. DR – A long range free kick from Jason Kilbride is saved by Mark Osborn.
90. DR – Jezz Goldson-Williams shoots wide.
90+4. DR – Henry Dunn shoots straight at Mark Osborn.
90+4 FULL TIME: 1-0
Both sides attempted to play football on the ground in yet another match played in strong winds. The Swan’s dominated the first half, with the wind at their backs but failed to capitalise on the numerous chances they created. At times it seemed as if they wanted to walk the ball into the net where a hard shot in the unpredictable, swirling wind would possibly have been more productive.
The end of the half saw the first of two bizarre moments in the match; the ball was kicked out of play and, as is often the case at this level of football, the ball appeared to be not easily retrievable. The referee turned to the far side of the pitch to signal for a replacement ball, meanwhile, Sam O’Neill went to retrieve a spare ball from the mouth of the player’s tunnel. Despite the protestations of fans and players from both sides the referee decided to book O’Neill for leaving the field of play and re-entering without permission. Maybe the UCL should not announce that an assessor is in attendance at matches as this clearly and adversely changes how a referee makes decisions, common sense is abandoned in favour of petty decisions with the officials afraid of making mistakes.
The second bizarre moment was the goal (described above). Deeping came into the game more after the break, mainly thanks to the influence of Luke Avis whose composure on the ball was to be admired. However, Rangers were largely restricted to efforts from distance. The Swans pressed well in search of an equaliser but to no avail.
HT : 0-0
1-0 Scott Mooney (51 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town:
John Thorpe (11 mins)
Sam O’Neill (45+1 mins)
Keith Williams (61 mins)
Liam Smyth (82 mins)
Josh Crawley (86 mins)
1. Danny Bircham
2. Dan Flack
3. Tom Smith
4. David Burton Jones (c)
5. Jack Cotton (12. Jezz Goldson-Williams, 81 mins)
6. Luke Hunnings
7. Luke Avis
8. Spencer Tinkler
9. Scott Mooney (16. Henry Dunn, 85 mins)
10. Scott Coupland
11. Jason Kilbride
14. Mat Porter
15. Will Bird
17. Jack Marsden
Newport Pagnell Town:
1. Mark Osborn
2. Rob Tapp (15. Stuart Smeathers, 58 mins)
3. Keith Williams (12. Dom Lawless, 68 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith (14. Rob MacDonald, 78 mins)
8. Greg Ling
9. Josh Crawley
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill
16. Lewis Smith
17. Joe Pursell
– Christopher Darling
– Thomas Beeton
– Jordan Dixon-Walker
Haydon Whitham Stadium
From Town Centre:
– Head north on B1524 towards Bourne.
– Turn right onto Towngate East at Towngate Tavern Pub.
– Go straight over mini roundabout into Outgang Road.
– Ground 1/4 mile on left.
From A16 by pass:
– At roundabout with the A15 Bourne Road turn towards Deeping.
– Turn left into Northfields Road.
– Turn left into Towngate / Outgang Road.
– Ground 1/4 mile on left.
Photographs by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn