Newport Pagnell Town 2-1 Oadby Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 12th December 2015
Minute By Minute
4. OT – Ollie Brown-Hill’s free kick is tipped over by Mark Osborn.
7. OT – Stuart Smeathers gets a foot to the ball to deflect Kev Charley’s shot wide.
10. NP – Liam Smyth finds Sam O’Neill who attempts to lob Elliott Taylor but the keeper easily collects the ball.
13. OT – Ollie Brown-Hill puts his free kick straight into the arms of Mark Osborn.
17. OT – Yet another Ollie Brown-Hill free kick from the edge of the penalty area, this time the wind catches the ball and it flies harmlessly wide.
24. NP – Dom Lawless shanks his shot wide of the target.
31. NP – A beautiful pass from Fazel Koriya puts Dom Lawless through one on one with the keeper. Elliott Taylor stands his ground and saves with his legs.
32. NP – Mason Hirst sends a powerful header back to Elliott Taylor from close range, the keeper is alert to the danger and easily catches the ball.
33. NP – GOAL 1-0. Darryl Smith is the provider for Dom Lawless who makes no mistake, slotting the ball home for the opening goal of the game.
40. NP – Elliott Taylor saves a Stuart Smeathers header from a Darryl Smith corner.
45+0 Half Time 1-0
47. NP – Sam O’Neill cuts the ball back for Dom Lawless who fires over the bar.
50. NP – GOAL 2-0. Dom Lawless returns the compliment by setting up Fazel Koriya to double the Swan’s lead.
52. NP – Darryl Smith’s curling shot forces a brilliant save out of Elliott Taylor.
53. NP – John Thorpe heads a Fazel Koriya corner into the ground, Elliott Taylor reacts well to tip the ball over.
57.OT – Mark Osborn saves a Mason Hirst free kick.
61. OT – Sam Hollis heads over from a Ollie Brown-Hill free kick.
68. NP – The Swan’s are denied a penalty shout after Rob MacDonald is clearly pushed over in the box.
68. OT – Oadby break quickly through Louis Hamilton but Ollie Brown-Hill shoots wide.
69. NP – Dom Lawless shoots straight into the arms of Elliott Taylor.
71. NP – Dom Lawless releases Sam O’Neill who brings a save out of Elliott Taylor.
73. OT – Jordie Burke heads high over the bar.
82. NP – Greg Ling cannot beat Elliott Taylor with a long range effort.
87. OT – GOAL 2-1. Ollie Brown-Hill races onto a through ball before coolly slotting the ball home to give Oadby a chance of a share of the spoils.
90. OT – It is the Poacher’s turn to be denied a penalty as Ollie Brown-Hill feels he is brought down in the box.
90+3.5 Full Time 2-1
Newport followed up on their victory at Freeway Park earlier in the season to complete a league double over Oadby. The first twenty minutes belonged to the Poacher’s as they pressed well in thr attacking third of the field. They virtually had free range as the Swan’s failed to close them down, however, their chances were restricted to free kicks as the Newport back four held firm. All this changed as the Swan’s midfield grew into the game, Greg Ling and Liam Smyth putting pressure on players in possession and winning more second ball. As was the case in the first game between the sides this season, Elliott Taylor was outstanding in the Oadby goal, he commanded his area with assurance and marshalled his defence excellently, when the defence was breached he was on hand to pull off a couple of fine saves.
Newport controlled the game well, but with a two goal lead and half an hour remaining they appeared to drop a gear. The contest from that point on was fairly even, Oadby used the trickery and pace of Louis Hamilton well and Ollie Brown-Hill was a continual menace, finally getting his reward with three minutes remaining. Both sides felt they had good penalty shouts but the referee was unmoved on both occasions. A good performance by the Swan’s gave them the points but Oadby should not be disheartened, their spirit and standard of play suggests that they should be a lot better off than their league position indicates.
1-0 Dom Lawless (33 mins)
HT : 1-0
2-0 Fazel Koriya (50 mins)
2-1 Ollie Brown-Hill (87 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Dom Lawless (65 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke
3. Keith Williams (15. Rob Tapp, 61 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Stuart Smeathers
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya (12. Rob MacDonald, 61 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill (14. Scott Mulkern, 81 mins)
16. Joe Pursell
1. Elliott Taylor
2. Mason Hirst
3. Carter Gill
4. Jordie Burke
5. Jordan Wakering (c)
6. James Parker
7. Louis Hamilton
8. Sam Hollis
9. Kev Charley
10. Jermaine Gordon (14. Christian Farrar, 70 mins)
11. Ollie Brown-Hill
12. Adam Hart
– Andrew Burston
– Stephen Biggs
– Trevor Martin
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
© Andy Gunn