Cogenhoe United 1-4 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Monday 28th December 2015
Kick Off 13:00
Compton Park, Cogenhoe
Minute By Minute
3. NP – A good give and go between Fazel Koriya and Dom Lawless allows Koriya to set up Josh Crawley who shoots over.
7. CU – A shot from Bayley Leslie is saved by Mark Osborn.
23. NP – Greg Ling finds Fazel Koriya who puts in a good cross that is well punched clear by Josh McAdoo before Dom Lawless can get to the ball.
26. CU – Phil Cassidy hits a free kick high over the bar.
27. NP – GOAL 0-1. A delightful back heel by Dom Lawless gives Josh Crawley the time and space to release Fazel Koriya who strikes the ball home for the opening goal.
30. CU – Harry Beckley provides an inch perfect cross for Elliot Herbert who heads the ball into the ground only to see it fly agonisingly over the crossbar.
35. NP – Josh Crawley sets up Darryl Smith whose shot is saved by Josh McAdoo.
44. CU – Harry Beckley’s cross is deflected towards goal by John Thorpe, a wrong footed Mark Osborn pulls off a miraculous reflex save to preserve the Swan’s lead.
45+1 Half Time 0-1
51. CU – A Jack Bowen header forces a save out of Mark Osborn.
53. NP – RED CARD. Darryl Smith and Harry Beckley contest a loose ball in a 50:50 challenge. Both players attempt to win the ball but the referee adjudges Smith’s tackle to be dangerous and sends him from the field. The stud marks up Smith’s shin from the challenge suggest that both players were equally culpable and should have received the same punishment, however, this was not the case.
60. CU – Phil Cassidy attempts to lob Mark Osborn but the keeper is alert to the danger.
66. NP – Great play from Josh Crawley as he beats two players before shooting wide of the target.
68. CU – RED CARD. This time Dean Lukeman receives his marching orders for a second bookable offence. Once again the referee is too quick to issue his card. Lukeman’s two offences were minor in nature and should never have resulted in dismissal.
70. CU – GOAL 1-1. Phil Cassidy finds the bottom corner from the edge of the area to bring the Cooks level.
72. NP – GOAL 1-2. Greg Ling deflects Josh Crawley’s shot to restore the Swan’s lead.
76. NP – GOAL 1-3. Fazel Koriya sets up Dom Lawless who sees his shot brilliantly cleared off the line by Harry Osbourne. The clearance falls to Josh Crawley, his shot is diverted home by Paul Edgeworth whose flick wrong foots keeper Josh McAdoo.
84. NP – John Thorpe’s powerful header is well saved by Josh McAdoo.
85. CU – Jack Bowen tries a stunning thirty five yard shot that thunders against the post.
88. NP – GOAL 1-4. Greg Ling scores his second goal after a Dom Lawless free kick rebounds into his path.
90+1. NP – Dom Lawless and Josh Crawley combine well to set up Rob Tapp who is denied by a superb Harry Osbourne tackle.
90+2. NP – Josh McAdoo pulls off a great save to deny Dom Lawless.
90+3. CU – Danny Thomason shoots high over the crossbar.
90+3 Full Time 1-4
A thoroughly entertaining game between two energetic sides was almost ruined by two dismissals. The first, Newport’s Darryl Smith, resulted from a challenge that I believe both players fairly attempted to win the ball. The referee was far too hasty with his decision and could easily have dismissed either or both players, however, upon reflection I believe, he should have simply spoken to the players concerned. The error was compounded by the dismissal of Dean Lukeman which appeared to have been a decision based more on levelling the playing field rather than the severity of on field misconduct.
Despite the two dismissals both sides should be applauded for striving to play entertaining football on a heavy pitch. The Swan’s continued their good form and at times played some lovely flowing football and ultimately got their reward with the win. They showed a belief and togetherness that has seen then develop into serious contenders for the league title. However, the Cook’s played more than a supporting role and with a little more luck may have netted more than the solitary goal they managed.
0-1 Fazel Koriya (27 mins)
1-1 Phil Cassidy (70 mins)
1-2 Greg Ling (72 mins)
1-3 Paul Edgeworth (76 mins)
1-4 Greg Ling (88 mins)
Dean Lukeman (3 mins)
Luke Emery (39 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Rob MacDonald (34 mins)
Liam Smyth (57 mins)
Fazel Koriya (57 mins)
Dean Lukeman (68 mins) (2nd Yellow)
Newport Pagnell Town
Darryl Smith (53 mins)
1. Josh McAdoo
2. Bayley Leslie
3. Dean Lukeman
4. Ross Harris (c) (12. Charlie Wixon, 88 mins)
5. Harry Osborne
6. Elliott Herbert
7. Phil Cassidy
8. Danny Harmon (14. Danny Thomason, 75 mins)
9. Jack Bowen
10. Harry Beckley
11. Luke Emery
15. Anton Sambrook
16. George McClellan
17. Damon Herbert
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke
3. Rob MacDonald (15. Rob Tapp, 61 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Stuart Smeathers (16. Dave Baker, 52 mins)
6. Liam Smyth (12. Paul Edgeworth, 69 mins)
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Josh Crawley
14. Scott Mulkern
17. Joe Pursell
– Wayne Chalmers
– Thomas Cooke
– Brian Ebulubu