Yaxley 2-0 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 9th January 2016
Kick Off 15:00
In2itive Park, Yaxley
Minute By Minute
10. YA – GOAL 1-0. A strong run down the right wing by John-Paul Duncliffe allowed Liam Hook to overlap before sending the ball across the face of goal. It was a formality for Mat Gearing to tap the ball home after the Newport defence failed to clear their lines.
21. YA – A good run down the left by Jon Stead before a classy one-two with Jack Saunders gave Stead the space to shoot and force Joe Pursell into a good save.
24. YA – GOAL 2-0. Joe Pursell dived full stretch to his left to tip Mat Gearing’s thirty yard shot wide. Scott Carter rose unopposed to head home Jon Stead’s corner to double the Cuckoo’s lead.
27. NP – Andy Stevens pulls off a good save from Keith Williams’ long range shot.
31. NP – Josh Crawley passes to Sam O’Neill who miss hits his shot, Andy Stevens easily collects the ball.
35. YA – John-Paul Duncliffe moves the ball to Mat Gearing who shoots over from distance.
38. NP – Josh Crawley spins brilliantly to beat his defender in the area, Andy Stevens saves his shot.
39. NP – Liam Smyth combines with Josh Crawley to release Sam O’Neill who is just beaten to the ball by an alert Andy Stevens.
40. NP – Dom Lawless shoots wide.
45. YA – Jon Stead carries the ball from right to left before slicing his shot wide.
45+1 Half Time: 2-0
48. YA – Mat Gearing’s shot is deflected over by Adam Pryke.
50. NP – Fazel Koriya passes to Stuart Smeathers whose header is caught by Andy Stevens.
52. NP – A great run by Sam O’Neill before giving the ball to Dom Lawless, Andy Stevens saves.
53. NP – Sam O’Neill shoots wide from thirty yards.
57. NP – Dom Lawless shoots wide from the edge of the area.
58. YA – Liam Hook shoots wide from the edge of the area.
64. NP – Sam O’Neill sets up a long range shot from Liam Smyth that is brilliantly tipped over by Andy Stevens.
65. NP – John Thorpe heads wide from a Sam O’Neill corner.
66. YA – Liam Hook drives the ball into the arms of Joe Pursell.
73. YA – Liam Hook shoots over the bar from outside the area.
76. NP – Josh Crawley and Fazel Koriya work the ball to Rob MacDonald who shoots wide.
78. YA – With his back to goal Scott Carter holds the ball up well before laying it off to Mat Gearing who hits the ball hard and high over the target.
83. YA – John-Paul Duncliffe tries his luck from distance Joe Pursell controls the ball with his chest before picking the ball up, however, the referee controversially awards a free kick for a back pass. The kick is only 7 yards out but is blasted into the mêlée of players on the line and away to safety.
86. YA – Mat Gearing puts a pin point pass across goal to an unmarked Jon Stead who skews the ball high over the bar from only five yards out.
90+1. NP – Rob Tapp shoots over.
90+2.5 Full Time: 2-0
Yaxley dominated the first twenty five minutes, achieving a healthy two goal lead in the process. The Swan’s were the architects of their own downfall conceding two goals with some uncharacteristic sloppy defending. However, both sides played some good football on the deck, passing the ball from defence, through midfield and on to attack. After the Cuckoo’s two goal lead had been established Newport stepped up a gear but good defending thwarted many promising moves. Yaxley continued to have a goal threat of their own and their main line of defence proved to be the high line played by their front men. Overall this was a fairly even contest that could easily have gone either way but it was Yaxley who managed a clean sheet, claiming all three points in the process.
1-0 Mat Gearing (10 mins)
2-0 Scott Carter (24 mins)
Kyle Nolan (60 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Liam Smyth (60 mins)
Scott Mulkern (71 mins)
1. Andy Stevens
2. John-Paul Duncliffe
3. Jack Saunders
4. Kyle Nolan (16. Scott Bogusz, 77 mins)
5. Sam Spencer
6. Wayne Morris (c)
7. Mat Gearing
8. Liam Hook
9. Lewis Stone
10. Scott Carter
11. Jon Stead
12. Andy Furnell
14. Harry Henbury
15. Matthew Cook
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Joe Pursell
2. Scott Mulkern (15. Lewis Smith, 81 mins)
3. Keith Williams (12. Rob Tapp, 81 mins)
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Josh Crawley
8. Stuart Smeathers
9. Dom Lawless (14. Rob MacDonald, 72 mins)
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill
– Gavin McFarlane
– Laurie Parnham
– Kevin Davis
Photos by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn