Newport Pagnell Town 8-0 Huntingdon Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 30th January 2016
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
4. NP – Keith Williams comes close to scoring from a twenty five yard free kick but keeper Lee Brooks is equal to the strike.
10. NP – GOAL 1-0. A wonderful cross field pass by Rob MacDonald finds Dom Lawless who controls the ball with his first touch before calmly finding the back of the net.
13. NP – Another beautiful pass, this time from Sam O’Neill, sets Dom Lawless free, Lee Brooks does extremely well to cut out the danger.
14. HT – A strong run down the right flank by Callum Walters gives him the time and space to put a cross into the penalty area, the ball is headed clear by Adam Pryke.
15. NP – Dom Lawless runs clear but is stopped in his tracks by a well timed Jordan Gault tackle.
16. HT – Jordan Brockett hits a shot over the crossbar.
28. NP – Lee Brooks saves a shot from distance by Paul Edgeworth.
35. HT – A mix up in the Swan’s defence allows Jordan Brockett the chance to shoot. Rob MacDonald covers, superbly heading the ball off the goal line but the Swan’s still struggle to clear their lines, the ball eventually falls to Mark Ling who shoots high.
36. NP – GOAL 2-0. Fazel Koriya runs onto a through ball before side footing the ball through Lee Brooks’ legs to double the Swan’s lead.
39. HT – Mark Osborn easily catches a weak Jordan Brockett effort.
45. NP – GOAL 3-0. A Scott Mulkern free kick finds Dom Lawless who forces a wonderful save from Lee Brooks. From the resultant corner John Thorpe heads the ball against the post before Paul Edgeworth stabs the ball towards goal. Keith Williams ghosts in at the far post but the ball had already crossed the line, goal to Edgeworth.
45+1 Half Time: 3-0
48. HT – Alex Shepherd shoots wide from thirty yards.
49. NP – Lee Brooks saves a low shot from Josh Crawley.
54. NP – John Thorpe heads a Rob MacDonald corner back into the mix before Keith Williams nods the ball to Adam Pryke whose header is goal bound before it’s cleared off the line.
47. NP – Fazel Koriya sends a pin point free kick to Josh Crawley who is only just denied by a great Lee Brooks save.
58. NP – GOAL 4-0. John Thorpe heads a Rob MacDonald corner towards the top corner of the net, Keith Williams rises like a salmon at the far post but the ball had already crossed the line, goal to Thorpe.
59. NP – Almost an instant carbon copy goal for John Thorpe who, once again, rises unchallenged to head a Rob MacDonald corner towards goal but this time the ball is deflected wide.
63. NP – GOAL 5-0. Fazel Koriya flicks the ball to Josh Crawley whose unselfish centre allows Dom Lawless to tap home.
67. NP – Dom Lawless thumps a twenty five yard shot that Lee Brooks does well to stop with a diving save.
70. HT – Jordan Brockett is allowed way too much space as he strikes his shot over the bar.
71. NP – James Seymor cuts out a Josh Crawley cross but in the process sends the ball hurtling towards goal, his blushes are spared by an alert Lee Brooks who pounces to smother the ball on the line.
72. HT – George Smith heads a Tom Stidwell cross just over the target.
74. NP – Rob Tapp passes to Josh Crawley whose shot is deflected behind for a corner.
77. HT – Good feet from Alex Shepherd before his shot is saved by Mark Osborn.
78. NP – GOAL 6-0. Fazel Koriya sets up Dom Lawless who rifles home to complete his hatrick.
80. NP – GOAL 7-0. A stunning pass from Rob MacDonald puts Fazel Koriya one on one with the keeper, Koriya coolly completes the move, knocking the ball past Lee Brooks before slotting it into the back of the empty net.
83. HT – Stuart Smeathers blocks Alex Shepherd’s pile driver.
90. NP – GOAL 8-0. Jake Shepherd deflects a Fazel Koriya cross into his own net.
90+3 Full Time: 8-0
After the match Huntingdon Town announced that Bob Warby will be taking over the managerial hot seat at Jubilee Park. One area that will concern Warby is the very high defensive line and reliance on an offside trap used by the Cromwellians to thwart their opponents. The risky strategy was always doomed to failure and although the Swan’s were repeatedly flagged offside they had enough skill and guile to beat the trap on numerous occasions. Had Newport managed to time their runs better they would surely have gone on to win by an even greater margin.
Newport’s dominance was such that they only gave away four free kicks for fouls in the entire game. However, at times, Huntingdon had good attacking moves of their own but all too often the ball was simply passed into space in order to relieve the constant pressure applied on their defenders. This proved to be a fruitless tactic as, by giving the ball away, the pressure was instantly reapplied.
Newport’s passing was slick and their movement off the ball was much improved on recent league outings. Huntingdon struggled to contain Rob MacDonald as he stamped his influence on the game with a range and quality of passing that was simply too good for the guests. Even though Lee Brooks pulled off some fine saves, the Swan’s finishing was a class apart with well taken goals easing them to a well deserved three points.
Despite celebrations worthy of an Oscar nomination the two Keith Williams ‘ghost’ goals were awarded to Paul Edgeworth and John Thorpe respectively by the dubious goals panel. Nevermind Beefy, my money’s on you to score next week!
1-0 Dom Lawless (10 mins)
2-0 Fazel Koriya (36 mins)
3-0 Paul Edgeworth (45 mins)
Half Time: 3-0
4-0 John Thorpe (58 mins)
5-0 Dom Lawless (63 mins)
6-0 Dom Lawless (78 mins)
7-0 Fazel Koriya (80 mins)
8-0 Jake Shepherd (Own Goal)(90 mins)
Full Time: 8-0
James Seymor (44 mins)
Mark Ling (56 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Scott Mulkern
3. Keith Williams
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth (15. Stuart Smeathers, 68 mins)
7. Rob MacDonald
8. Paul Edgeworth (14. Rob Tapp, 68 mins)
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill (12. Josh Crawley, 31 mins)
16. Joe Pursell
1. Lee Brooks
2. Tom Stidwell
3. James Seymour
4. Jake Waterworth (c) (14. George Smith, 68 mins)
5. Jake Shepherd
6. Jordan Gault
7. Jordan Brockett (16. Luke Young, 75 mins)
8. Mark Ling
9. Shane Green (15. Ben Green, 27 mins)
10. Alex Shepherd
11. Callum Walters
12. Connor Gordon
– Paul Mihalache
– Emmanuel Unuafe
– Michael Chalkley
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.