Rothwell Corinthians 0-2 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 13th February 2016
Kick off 15:00
Sergeants Lawn, Rothwell
4. RC – Aaron Watts pokes a left foot shot wide.
16. NP – GOAL 0-1. Darryl Smith puts a teasing pass across the face of the penalty area for Sam O’Neill who deftly curls the ball past keeper Liam Waddy and into the back of the net.
22. NP – Liam Waddy safely saves a Sam O’Neill fee kick.
32. RC – Ben Johnson floats a cross to the far post but Joe Wright skews his header wide.
33. NP – Liam Waddy saves as Keith Williams shoots from distance.
42. RC – A miss hit Mark Osborn clearance falls to Ben Johnson in the centre circle, Newport are let off as Johnson ambitiously tries to level the score with Osborn a long way off his line but he misses the target.
45. NP – Liam Waddy reacts well to cut out Sam O’Neill’s cross just before it reaches Dom Lawless.
45+1 Half Time: 0-1
48. NP – Good defending by Daniel Cooper as he heads a Dom Lawless cross clear.
54. NP – Darryl Smith whips in a corner, John Thorpe rises to direct a header towards goal only to be denied as Liam Waddy brilliantly tips the ball over.
56. RC – Good work down the left by Joe Plowright before his cross is headed behind for a corner by Keith Williams.
58. NP – GOAL 0-2. A sliced clearance by Liam Waddy falls straight to an unmarked Fazel Koriya who tucks the ball home from ten yards to double the Swan’s lead.
62. NP – In the best move of the game Darryl Smith, Dom Lawless & Sam O’Neill combine well before a delightful Fazel Koriya back heel sets up Dom Lawless who shoots wide.
66. NP – Stuart Smeathers passes to Darryl Smith who turns and shoots wide in one move.
71. RC – Will Arnold’s cross is not cleared and the ball falls to Dominic Page who volleys over the bar.
79. RC – PENALTY, SAVED. John Thorpe brings down Kalon Peniasko for a penalty. Jordan Henson steps up to take the spot kick but it is a weak bobbling penalty that is saved as Mark Osborn dives to his right.
88. NP – A long ball from Sam O’Neill to Dom Lawless who shoots wide.
90+3. NP – Liam Waddy saves a forty yard Scott Mulkern effort.
90+3 Full Time: 0-2
A cold, grey, damp afternoon on an uneven, boggy, sloping pitch with an irregular bounce did not hold much promise for a game of football but this turned out to be a good match played by two enthusiastic and energetic sides who belied the conditions to entertain the crowd. However, although this was an entertaining game it was still a largely scrappy affair. Newport held the balance of play and had the upper hand for most of the encounter, scoring two well taken goals, one well worked and the other fortunate in their build up. Corinthians on the other hand contended well in the middle of the park but failed to translate this into meaningful forward play. The Swan’s came to take three points and in a repeat of the first league encounter they efficiently took them with the same scoreline.
0-1 Sam O’Neill (16 mins)
Half Time: 0-1
0-2 Fazel Koriya (58 mins)
Full Time: 0-2
Aaron Watts (19 mins)
Dominic Page (26 mins)
Will Arnold (63 mins)
Jordan Henson (84 mins)
Luke Phillips (88 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Sam O’Neill (19 mins)
Adam Pryke (84 mins)
1. Liam Waddy
2. Kalon Peniasko
3. Daniel Cooper
4. Tom Johnson
5. Callum Plowright
6. Ben Johnson (c)
7. Joe Wright (15. Jed Downing, 87 mins)
8. Dominic Page (14. Luke Phillips, 73 mins)
9. Jordan Henson
10. Will Arnold
11. Aaron Watts (12. Merson Styles, 68 mins)
16. Andy White
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Scott Mulkern
3. Keith Williams
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith (16. Rob MacDonald, 69 mins)
8. Stuart Smeathers
9. Dom Lawless (15. Paul Edgeworth, 89 mins)
10. Fazel Koriya (14. Jared Cunniff, 76 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill
12. Rob Tapp
17. Joe Pursell
– Luke Scott
– Shaun Wills
– Peter Moore
Last Time We Met
Newport Pagnell Town 2-0 Rothwell Corinthians
United Counties League Premier
Saturday 22nd August 2015
•|Match Report|• http://wp.me/p6BkVY-e
Photographs by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn