Newport Pagnell Town 2-1 Yaxley
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 20th February 2016
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
6. NP – Greg Ling slips the ball to Dom Lawless, Andy Stevens rushes from his goal to force Lawless wide to elliviate the danger.
7. NP – Darryl Smith shoots high from thirty five yards.
10. NP – Fazel Koriya passes the ball to Liam Smyth whose strong strike is superbly palmed over by Andy Stevens. John Thorpe glances his header wide from the resultant corner.
13. NP – Greg Ling’s shot is blocked but the ball falls to Fazel Koriya who deftly chips the keeper only to see his attempt clear the crossbar as well.
16. NP – With two players waiting unmarked in the box, a Fazel Koriya cross is expertly cut out by Wayne Morris.
28. NP – Greg Ling, Dom Lawless and Fazel Koriya combine well to cut open the Cuckoo’s back line before being denied by a great Lewis Stone tackle.
29. NP – Adam Pryke passes to Dom Lawless who fires his shot wide.
36. YA – A Liam Hook free kick finds Jon Stead, Mark Osborn saves the striker’s shot.
45+0 Half Time: 0-0
49. YA – A Jack Saunders cross is well defended by Stuart Smeathers who heads behind for a corner.
52. YA – A long clearance by Andy Stevens puts Jon Stead through, Stead runs on before lobbing the keeper and the crossbar.
57. NP – GOAL 1-0. Great footwork from Darryl Smith sees him beat two defenders before his hard, low shot takes a deflection past the keeper to open the scoring.
69. YA – GOAL 1-1. Jack Saunders lays the ball off to Daniel Cotton who riffles a thunderbolt onto the underside of the crossbar, the assistant referee is perfectly positioned to see that the ball crosses the line as it bounces down and awards a goal to level the scoring.
74. NP – GOAL 2-1. Sam O’Neill, Dom Lawless and Fazel Koriya all have strikes at goal in a goalmouth mêlée before Koriya pokes the ball home.
83. YA – Adam Pryke shows great awareness to head a Phil Stebbing cross behind for a corner.
84. YA – Scott Carter glances his header wide from a Daniel Cotton cross.
90+2.5 Full Time: 2-1
Newport demonstrated why they are sitting third in the league with a solid display of passing football. The Swan’s quick movement and clever interchanges saw them avenge their defeat at In2itive Park in January. However, Newport failed to capitalise on their dominance as the first half finished goalless.
The Cuckoo’s came out strongly after the break and were more competitive than they had been in the first period. As both sides played more attacking football, gaps inevitably appeared; rapid attacks and counter attacks required both sets of defenders to be alert. To be hyper critical the Swan’s over complicated their play in front of goal where an early shot may have proved more beneficial and against a team as good as Yaxley this could have proved costly. All in all this was a good performance by the Swans and a well deserved three points.
Half Time: 0-0
1-0 Darryl Smith (57 mins)
1-1 Daniel Cotton (69 mins)
2-1 Fazel Koriya (74 mins)
Full Time: 2-1
Liam Hook (64 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke
3. Scott Mulkern
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Stuart Smeathers
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith (15. Lewis Smith, 86 mins)
8. Greg Ling
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya (12. Paul Edgeworth, 88 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill (14. Rob MacDonald, 80 mins)
16. Joe Pursell
1. Andy Stevens
2. John-Paul Duncliffe
3. Jack Saunders
4. Kyle Nolan
5. Sam Spencer
6. Wayne Morris (c)
7. Mat Gearing (14. Daniel Cotton, 66 mins)
8. Liam Hook
9. Lewis Stone
10. Phil Stebbing
11. Jon Stead (15. Scott Carter, 66 mins)
12. Andy Furnell
– Carl Henry
– Keith Lawrence
– Michael Chalkley
Last Time We Met
Yaxley 2-0 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League Premier
Saturday 9th January 2016
© Andy Gunn