Desborough Town 0-2 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 27th February 2016
Kick off 15:00
Waterworks Field, Desborough
6. DT – A Dan Grainger corner is turned towards goal by Jason Turner who forces a good save out of Joe Pursell.
8. NP – Sam O’Neill heads a Darryl Smith free kick wide.
20. NP – A strong defensive header by Aidan Bradshaw clears the danger from a Darryl Smith free kick.
21. DT – A quick break by the Ar Tarn releases John Dean who crosses for Luke Cummins whose first time shot is saved well by Joe Pursell.
32. NP – A deep Liam Smyth cross clears the head of Darryl Smith and Chris Jones safely watches the ball go for a goal kick.
42. DT – Marvin Hill centres for Luke Cummins who looks certain to score but is denied by great interception from Keith Williams.
44. NP – Paul Edgeworth plays Dom Lawless in but the striker shoots over.
45. DT – Marvin Hill heads wide from Dan Grainger’s cross.
45+1. NP – Keith Williams’ long range shot is blocked by Leo Adams.
45+0.5 Half Time: 0-0
48. DT – Marvin Hill turns Stuart Smeathers and advances towards Joe Pursell. With a two on one situation he squares the ball to Jason Turner who hits the ball wildly over the bar when it seemed he was certain to score.
50. DT – A poor back pass leaves Joe Pursell stranded, Marvin Hill appears to foul the keeper in an attempt to win the ball but the referee waves play on. The loose ball is played back into the mix and this time it is Joe Pursell who appears to foul Marvin Hill but, once again, the referee is unmoved.
51. DT – A clever flick by Marvin Hill releases Jason Turner, Joe Pursell does brilliantly to save with his feet. However, the ball falls back to Turner who is thwarted for a second time by John Thorpe’s goal line clearance. The ball, once again, falls to an Ar Tarn forward, this time Luke Cummin’s shot is saved by Pursell.
57. NP – GOAL 0-1. Chris Jones punches Darryl Smith’s corner to Paul Edgeworth who manages to squeeze the ball through a crowd of players and into the net off the base of the post.
58. DT – Leo Adams heads Dan Grainger’s free kick straight to Joe Pursell.
75. NP – GOAL 0-2. Liam Smyth’s free kick is played by Adam Pryke and Stuart Smeathers before falling to Fazel Koriya who gratefully prods the ball home.
78. DT – Joe Pursell dives full length to save Dan Grainger’s twenty five yard free kick.
81. DT – Aidan Bradshaw’s flying header goes wide.
88. NP – Darryl Smith frees Dom Lawless, Chris Jones saves the shot and the follow up is blocked.
90+3. DT – Marvin Hill floats in a high, hanging cross that is headed wide by Jason Turner.
90+4. NP – George Shrieves shoots over from a tight angle.
90+4.5 Full Time: 0-2
On a drab, dull, cold, grey afternoon this was a patchy game that possessed the same characteristics as the weather. This was a slow burner as both sides showed poor ball retention and surrendered possession far too easily. At the midway point it was difficult to see where a goal was going to come from. Over the full ninety minutes Desborough carved out numerous good chances but through a combination of good goalkeeping, goal line clearances and poor finishing they failed to convert any of them. The Swans, however, only had two decent chances, both resulting from defensive lapses, and scored both to take all three points. Desborough will have been disappointed that they came away with nothing from a game that they probably should have won. They say that the sign of a good side is one that wins when they don’t play well and Newport will be delighted to have taken maximum points from this encounter.
Half Time: 0-0
0-1 Paul Edgeworth (57 mins)
0-2 Fazel Koriya (75 mins)
Full Time: 0-2
1. Chris Jones
2. Mark Redding (c)
3. Dan Wells
4. Dan Grainger
5. Leo Adams
6. Aidan Bradshaw
7. John Dean (12. Jake Bettles, 71 mins)
8. Dan White
9. Jason Turner
10. Marvin Hill
11. Luke Cummins (15. Harry Beckley, 71 mins)
14. Perry Katesmark
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Joe Pursell
2. Adam Pryke
3. Keith Williams
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Stuart Smeathers
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Paul Edgeworth (14. Rob Tapp, 69 mins)
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya (12. George Shrieves, 81 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill
– David Jarrett
– William Hardie
– Bruce Stevens
Last Time We Met
Newport Pagnell Town 4-2 Desborough Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 21st November 2015
•|Match Report|• http://wp.me/p6BkVY-3W
© Andy Gunn