Newport Pagnell Town 3-2 Peterborough Northern Star
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 9th April 2016
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
5. NPT – Keith Williams twenty five yard shot is collected by Dan George.
11. NPT – Sam Phillips gets his head to a Dom Lawless cross to deny Fazel Koriya.
20. PNS – Craig Smith’s curling shot from the edge of the area is saved by Joe Pursell.
27. NPT – Sam O’Neill lays the ball back for Keith Williams who shoots wide.
35. NPT – A swift counter attack from the Swans sees Dom Lawless forced wide before his rasping shot superbly tipped over by Dan George.
37. PNS – Craig Jones harmlessly floats his free kick straight to Joe Pursell.
39. PNS – Newport clear their box straight to Christian Le who controls the ball with his chest before striking his half volley high.
45+2. PNS – Dan Wilson’s free kick finds Callum Madigan who shoots over.
45+3.5 Half Time: 0-0
47. PNS – Reuben Rey blocks Dom Lawless’ shot.
49. NPT – GOAL 1-0. Dom Lawless riggles free on the wing and into the box before firing the ball across goal for Fazel Koriya who makes no mistake from close range.
53. PNS – GOAL 1-1. Dan George comes forward to launch a free kick from the half way line into the box, Craig Smith is first to the ball and heads home to level the scores.
55. PNS – Jezz Goldson-Williams lays the ball back for Chris Jones who fires his shot into the side netting.
56. PNS – Chris Jones beats his marker before crossing to Bobby Bick who swivels before calmly sliding the ball into the net.
63. PNS – Chris Jones strikes over from outside the area.
68. PNS – Christian Le slips the ball to Craig Smith whose shot is only inches wide of the base of the post.
72. NPT – GOAL 2-2. A beautiful pass from Liam Smyth finds Fazel Koriya whose well timed run gives him the time and space he needs to curl the ball into the bottom corner to equalise.
73. NPT – A good interchange between Dom Lawless and Liam Smyth finds George Shrieves who can’t keep his shot down.
74. PNS – Chris Jones runs onto a through ball before hitting his shot wide.
80. PNS – Harley Williams finds Jezz Goldson-Williams whose effort goes wide.
81. NPT – A mix up in the Star defence results in an attempted back header going straight to Fazel Koriya whose own header is wide of the target.
85. NPT – Dan George punches a corner kick straight to Goerge Shrieves who nods the ball back in but Keith Williams hits the ball over the bar.
90. NPT – GOAL 3-2. Great perseverance from Dom Lawless as he works the ball in from the wing, his shot is saved by Dan George. Stuart Smeathers thunders in the winner from close range following the ensuing goal mouth scramble.
90+4 Full Time: 3-2
The Swans made it five successive wins in the league to keep up the pressure on the two teams above them. However, they appeared to be suffering from a cup final defeat hangover in a lack lustre first half that saw both sides fail to make an impression.
The game sparked into life when Fazel Koriya put Newport ahead four minutes into the second half. In the hectic seven minute period that followed Star reacted brilliantly by first leveling and then taking the lead through Craig Smith and Bobby Bick. Newport were not finished as they showed the grit and determination that has been typical of their play throughout the season. They bounced back when Koriya scored his second and went on to win the contest in the final minute with a rare goal from Stuart Smeathers.
Two players who deserve special mention for their contribution to the game are Chris Jones who proved to be a thorn in the side for the Newport defence and Dom Lawless whose tireless running and determination was superb and lead to two of the Swan’s goals.
Half Time: 0-0
1-0 Fazel Koriya (49 mins)
1-1 Craig Smith (53 mins)
1-2 Bobby Bick (56 mins)
2-2 Fazel Koriya (72 mins)
3-2 Stuart Smeathers (90 mins)
Full Time: 3-2
Newport Pagnell Town
John Thorpe (52 mins)
Rob Tapp (88 mins)
Peterborough Northern Star
Craig Smith (24 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Joe Pursell
2. Scott Mulkern (16. Dave Baker, 87 mins)
3. Keith Williams
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Paul Edgeworth (12. Rob Tapp, 60 mins)
8. Stuart Smeathers
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill (15. George Shrieves, 60 mins)
Peterborough Northern Star
1. Dan George
2. Ruben Rey
3. Dan Wilson
4. Christian Le
5. Sam Phillips
6. Callum Madigan (c)
7. Bobby Bick (12. Harley Williams, 62 mins)
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Jezz Goldson-Williams
10. Chris Jones
11. Craig Smith (14. Harry Holt, 80 mins)
15. Sam Palmer
16. Joe Moore-Papworth
– Luke Scott
– Stephen Biggs
– Steve Hoare
The cover of this week’s Swans Confidential matchday programme features groundsman Gary ‘Crump’ Hefferon who was recently named Berks & Bucks FA ‘Step 5/6, 2015-16 Groundsperson of the Year’. Well done Crump.
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
Photographs courtesy of Tony Webster.
© Andy Gunn