Holbeach United 1-2 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 23rd April 2016
Kick off 15:00
Carters Park, Holbeach
3. NP – Greg Ling chips the ball through for Fazel Koriya who beats Travis Portas only to see his shot come back off the post and straight into the grateful hands of the keeper.
5. NP – Adam Pryke slips the ball to Dom Lawless who is denied by a well timed Nick Jackson block.
7. HU – Andrew Tidswell steals the ball in midfield before shooting wide of the mark.
10. HU – Jack Clitheroe sets up Dan Dougill who can only manage to shoot straight into the arms of Mark Osborn.
19. NP – GOAL 0-1. Paul Edgeworth heads the ball to Fazel Koriya who, in turn, finds Greg Ling who calmly slides the ball into the back of the net.
34. NP – GOAL 0-2. Fazel Koriya’s corner is powerfully headed towards goal by John Thorpe before being tapped home by Paul Edgeworth from close range.
41. HU – GOAL 1-2. Oliver Pinner puts in an excellent tackle and in the process manages to slip the ball to Jack Clitheroe who makes no mistake with his strike.
45+0.50 Half Time: 1-2
58. HU – Andrew Tidswell and Josh Ford combine well to set up Paul Newcombe whose header is saved by Mark Osborn.
63. HU – Andrew Tidswell shoots wide from distance.
66. NP – Sam O’Neill shoots over from thirty five yards.
67. NP – Rob Tapp lobs a pass through to Paul Edgeworth who shoots wide.
68. HU – A long Andrew Tidswell free kick drifts straight into the arms of Mark Osborn.
79. HU – Mark Osborn saves Jack Clitheroe’s shot.
80. HU – Andrew Tidswell’s free kick is headed wide by Nick Jackson.
85. NP – The unmarked Sam O’Neill is inches away from connecting to Greg Ling’s cross.
90+3 Full Time: 1-2
On a perfect afternoon for football, the first half of this match was a reasonably entertaining affair as the players pitted their skills against each other. The Swan’s needed to stand up and be counted after a poor performance away to Kempston in midweek and looked relatively comfortable as they strolled to a two goal lead and it looked likely that they would extend their lead further. However, the Tiger’s showed plenty of spirit and enthusiasm, with Andrew Tidswell pulling the strings for them in midfield they were back in the game through a Jack Clitheroe goal shortly before half time.
The second half was very flat and fell way short of the first period as the game assumed an end of season feel to it. The remainder of the match was largely played out in the middle of the park as repeated forward moves from both sides broke down on the edge of the penalty area. Newport seemed happy to protect their lead and had the air of a team whose season’s work was complete and although Holbeach battled well they looked to be suffering from their punishing fixture schedule, playing three matches a week. Newport held on for maximum points and in the process confirmed an excellent third place finish in the league.
0-1 Greg Ling (19 mins)
0-2 Paul Edgeworth (33 mins)
1-2 Jack Clitheroe (41 mins)
Half Time: 1-2
Full Time: 1-2
Oliver Pinner (24 mins)
Andrew Tidswell (82 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
John Thorpe (25 mins)
Adam Pryke (57 mins)
1. Travis Portas
2. Josh Ford
3. Davy Shepherd
4. Oliver Pinner (15. Ollie Gale, 65 mins)
5. Stacy Cartwright (12. Jamie Stevens, 60 mins)
6. Nick Jackson
7. Callum Davis (14. Mat Warfield, 65 mins)
8. Andrew Tidswell
9. Jack Clitheroe
10. Dan Dougill
11. Paul Newcombe
16. Luke Russon
17. Tom Roberts
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke
3. Rob Tapp
4. John Thorpe (c)
5. Dave Baker
6. Stuart Smeathers
7. Paul Edgeworth (14. Scott Mulkern, 81 mins)
8. Greg Ling
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya (12. George Shrieves, 65 mins)
11. Sam O’Neill
– Ian Pascu
– James Marsden
– Damon Pywell
Photographs by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn