Sleaford Town 3-2 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 30th April 2016
Kick off 15:00
Eslaforde Park, Sleaford
10. ST – Brad Hockin slips the ball through to George Asplin who shoots straight at Mark Osborn.
12. ST – George Asplin cuts in from the left only to see his shot blocked by Dave Baker.
13. ST – George Asplin crosses for Ryan Oliver who heads the ball into the ground before it is cleared by John Thorpe.
29. NP – Scott Mulkern’s cross-shot goes just over the bar.
31. NP – Dom Lawless drives his shot over from thirty yards.
35. NP – GOAL 0-1. The Swan’s react quickest after a set piece is only partially cleared, Dom Lawless chips the perfect cross for Dave Baker to nod in off the post for the opening goal.
37. ST – Brad Hockin releases Ryan Oliver whose shot is saved by Mark Osborn.
41. ST – GOAL 1-1. George Asplin sends the ball into the area where Joe Smith heads on for Jack Pemberton who fires home from close range to level things up.
44. NP – Keith Williams sets up Sam O’Neill whose curling shot is caught by Phil McGann.
45+0 Half Time: 1-1
55. ST – Harrison Allen cracks a shot high.
59. ST – Joe Smith passes to Brad Hockin who strikes his shot over the target.
64. NP – Dom Lawless twists and turns before having his shot blocked by Charlie Ward.
65. ST – Once again Joe Smith sets up Brad Hockin who sees his Daisy cutter saved by Mark Osborn.
67. ST – Ryan Oliver blasts a shot high.
69. NP – Dom Lawless can’t keep his shot down.
70. ST – PENALTY & GOAL 2-1. George Asplin is clipped and goes down for a penalty that Ryan Oliver confidently slides home.
77. NP – GOAL 2-2. George Shrieves finds Sam O’Neill who flicks the ball towards goal, with Dom Lawless breathing down his neck Chris Skipper has to play the ball and is unfortunate as he turns it into his own net to level the scores.
81. NP – Dom Lawless’ shot is saved by Phil McGann.
83. ST – GOAL 3-2. Ryan Oliver neatly finishes from George Asplin’s pin point cross.
90+1. NP – Dom Lawless lays the ball back for Stuart Smeathers who shoots high from outside the area.
90+2. NP – Liam Smyth provides a quality cross for Sam O’Neill who forces Phil McGann into a diving save.
90+3.5 Full Time: 3-2
Considering the limitations of a small squad with no reserves as back up, Newport’s third place finish has to be admired. However, for this match the squad was down to the bare bones as injuries and suspensions took their toll and matters were only made worse as the Swan’s lost Adam Pryke and John Thorpe to injury. George Shrieves made his first start for the senior side and he put in a promising performance against a good Sleaford side.
Although there was not much at stake in this end of season encounter the game was well contested. Despite plenty of box to box play there was little goalmouth action of any note and it was the defender’s who showed the front men how to find the back of the net as first the visitor’s Dave Baker scored a rare goal and then Jack Pemberton ventured forward to net for the home side. The first half was a fairly even affair and this was reflected in the scoreline at the break. Ultimately it was the Green’s who had the better of the second period as Ryan Oliver’s 25th & 26th league goals of the season meant that Sleaford signed off their best ever top flight campaign with a win.
0-1 Dave Baker (35 mins)
1-1 Jack Pemberton (41 mins)
Half Time: 1-1
2-1 Ryan Oliver (Penalty, 70 mins)
2-2 Chris Skipper (Own Goal, 77 mins)
3-2 Ryan Oliver ( 83 mins)
Full Time: 3-2
Lewis Millington (82 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Liam Smyth (60 mins)
Mark Osborn (90+3 mins)
1. Phil McGann
2. Ben Brown
3. Adam Fenton (c)
4. Jack Pemberton
5. Charlie Ward
6. Chris Skipper
7. Brad Hockin (14. Lewis Millington, 68 mins)
8. Joe Smith
9. Ryan Oliver
10. Harry Millard (12. Harrison Allen, 28 mins)
11. George Asplin
15. Jamie Shaw
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke (14. Keith Williams, 3 mins)
3. Rob Tapp
4. John Thorpe (c) (12. Liam Smyth, 46 mins)
5. Dave Baker
6. Stuart Smeathers
7. Scott Mulkern
8. George Shrieves
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Sam O’Neill
– Christopher Reeson
– Ian Ruddock
– Chris Giles
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Design.
Photographs by Andy Gunn.