Newport Pagnell Town 7-1 Harrowby United
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 3rd May 2016
Kick off 20:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
3. NP – Greg Ling heads Keith Williams’ cross wide.
8. NP – Darryl Smith’s free kick flies over the bar.
13. NP – A beautiful through ball by George Shrieves gives Dom Lawless the chance to force a save out of Louis Bland.
14. NP – Darryl Smith’s shot is saved by Louis Bland.
17. NP – GOAL 1-0. Liam Smyth’s free kick is superbly headed home by Keith Williams.
19. HU – GOAL 1-1. The Arrows respond quickly as Matthew Clarke smashes a shot into the back of the net.
29. NP – Sam O’Neill releases Dom Lawless whose strike is saved by the legs of Louis Bland.
39. HU – Scott Floyd is first to the ball as he rounds keeper Mark Osborn but the angle is too tight as his shot finds the side netting.
42. NP – Darryl Smith beats two players before putting his shot wide of the post.
45+1 Half Time: 1-1
50. NP – Sam O’Neill lays the ball off for Keith Williams whose shot from distance goes over the bar.
51. NP – Louis Bland saves Darryl Smith’s shot.
57. NP – GOAL 2-1. Greg Ling picks up the ball on the halfway line and runs thirty five yards before rifling in the Swan’s second goal.
67. NP – GOAL 3-1. Louis Bland gets a hand to Dom Lawless’ free kick but it is not enough to prevent the goal.
71. NP – GOAL 4-1. Dom Lawless flicks the ball to Sam O’Neill who sends on a pinpoint cross for Fazel Koriya to head home.
74. NP – GOAL 5-1. Fazel Koriya runs onto the area before squaring the ball for Dom Lawless who slots the ball into the net for his second goal.
80. NP – Dom Lawless releases Paul Edgeworth whose shot is saved by Louis Bland.
84. NP – Dom Lawless shoots over from outside the area.
87. NP – Fantastic skills from Liam Smyth as he twists and turns before shooting agonisingly just wide.
89. NP – GOAL 6-1. Darryl Smith passes to Dom Lawless who hits the post. Paul Edgeworth picks up the poor clearance and runs on to deftly score.
90+3. NP – GOAL 7-1. Darryl Smith’s corner is powerfully headed in by Dave Baker.
90+3.5 Full Time: 7-1
Newport polished off a successful season with a resounding victory over a depleted Harrowby side. With the Swan’s having already wrapped up third place and the Arrows safe in eighteenth there seemed to be little to play for. However, the first period was an entertaining affair and although Newport controlled proceedings they struggled to shake off a determined Harrowby side as the teams went in level at the break.
The second half was a different story as the Swan’s played some emphatic, scintillating football, almost scoring at will. Greg Ling’s performance was truly awe inspiring as he dominated midfield and was the architect of the Swan’s free flowing football. The final scoreline was fitting reward for the players and coaching staff who have worked tirelessly this season to bring the exciting brand of football to Willen Road that the fans have come to expect.
1-0 Keith Williams (17 mins)
1-1 Matthew Clarke (19 mins)
Half Time: 1-1
2-1 Greg Ling (57 mins)
3-1 Dom Lawless (67 mins)
4-1 Fazel Koriya (71 mins)
5-1 Dom Lawless (74 mins)
6-1 Paul Edgeworth (89 mins)
7-1 Dave Baker (90+3 mins)
Full Time: 7-1
Newport Pagnell Town
Mark Osborn (55 mins)
Dave Baker (82 mins)
Sean Fulcher (61 mins)
Scott Floyd (82 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Scott Mulkern (14. Paul Edgeworth, 56 mins)
3. Keith Williams (c)
4. Stuart Smeathers
5. Dave Baker
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. George Shrieves (12. Fazel Koriya, 56 mins)
9. Greg Ling
10. Dom Lawless
11. Sam O’Neill
1. Louis Bland
2. Jack Raistrick
3. John Currall
4. Jack Whyley
5. Billy Stubbs (c)
6. Josh Kelman
7. Scott Floyd
8. Simon Bolland (12. Daniel Moulds, 53 mins)
9. Sean Fulcher
10. Matthew Clarke
11. Robert Lee
– Peter Howard
– Kevan Atkins
– Liam Jackson
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
Photographs by Andy Gunn.