Emirates Newport Pagnell Town 0-1 Biggleswsde United
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Saturday 6th August 2016
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
10. NP – Darren Lynch side foots the ball over the crossbar from a Darryl Smith corner.
33. BU – Abraham Eze fires in a shot following a corner, the ball is deflected by Adam Pryke on the goal line and onto the angle of crossbar and post. Kane Farrell is first to the rebound and rifles his shot towards goal forcing Mark Osborn into a good save.
45. NP – Dom Lawless releases Darren Lynch who shoots across goal.
45+1. NP – Dom Lawless receives the ball with his back to goal, he turns and shoots over the bar.
45+2 Half Time: 0-0
47. BU – Kane Farrell strikes a free kick over the crossbar.
50. BU – Charlie Black finds Scott Bachelor who turns and shoots straight at Mark Osborn.
52. BU – GOAL 0-1. Scott Batchelor chases down a short back pass, Mark Osborn is first to the ball but only manages to play his clearance into the path of Sergio Lopez who calmly lobs home from 25 yards.
69. NP – Paul Edgeworth’s shoots high from 30 yards.
76. BU – Charlie Black’s curling shot from outside the area is saved by Mark Osborn.
79. NP – Collins Laryea threads the ball to Darryl Smith who’s scuffed shot is collected by Tom Wyant.
84. NP – Paul Edgeworth shoots over from distance.
87. NP – Liam Smyth’s free kick finds Dom Lawless who’s shot is charged down in the area a defender, calls for hand ball are waved away by the referee.
90+3. NP – Darryl Smith lays a free kick off to Dom Lawless who shoots wide.
90+4. NP – Darryl Smith’s lob is touched over the crossbar by Tom Wyant.
90+4 Full Time: 0-1
The Swans came into the match with a depleted squad due to injury. With eight first team players out this was always going to be a tough task. Manager Darren Lynch was forced to pull his boots on for his first senior appearance since the 2013/14 season. The first half was played at a good tempo and was a reasonably entertaining affair as the players pitted their skills against each other, however, the sides cancelled each other out and goal chances were scarce. The Referee sensibly paused the game for hydration breaks in the searing heat.
The second half was very flat and fell way short of the first period as the players suffered in the heat. Newport struggled to get into the game as Biggleswsde pushed forward, exploiting gaps in the midfield as the Swan’s began to tire. Time and again United squandered their superior possession and failed to pose any real threat on the Newport goal. The winning strike came following a defensive mistake as Scott Batchelor chased down a short back pass, Mark Osborn was first to the ball but only managed to play his clearance into the path of Sergio Lopez who calmly lobbed home from 25 yards. The remainder of the match was largely played out in the middle of the park as repeated forward moves from both sides broke down on the edge of the penalty area. The Swan’s pushed hard for an equaliser in the final minutes but Biggleswsde held on for the win and progress to the Preliminary Round where they will face Aylesbury United away.
Half Time: 0-0
0-1 Sergio Lopez (52 mins)
Full Time: 0-1
Newport Pagnell Town
Remy Forrester (62 mins)
Liam Smyth (70 mins)
Connor Forman (86 mins)
Gareth Hunt (41 mins)
Scott Batchelor (70 mins)
Charlie Black (83 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Adam Pryke (c)
3. Remy Forrester
4. Liam Smyth
5. Paul Edgeworth
6. George Shrieves (12. Gary Brook, 66 mins)
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling (14. Collins Laryea, 66 mins)
9. Darren Lynch
10. Dom Lawless
11. Jamie Burrows (15. Connor Forman, 82 mins)
1. Tom Wyant
17. Kane Farrell
3. Nyasha Sagwete
4. Lee Bilcock
5. Martin Russell (c)
8. Gareth Hunt
7. Jake O’Neill
6. Nick Elliot (12. Matt Cooper, 71 mins)
9. Charlie Black
10. Sergio Lopez (14. Liam Sweeney, 88 mins)
11. Abraham Eze (16. Scott Batchelor, 46 mins)
15. Kevin Owusu
2. Josh Sturniolo
GK. Adam Counihan
– Kevin Bungay
– Stuart Wood
– Steve Wilkes
Photographs by Andy Gunn.
© Andy Gunn