Newport Pagnell Town 2-0 Oadby Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 13th August 2016
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
1. NP – A long free kick finds it’s way to Greg Ling who turns and shoots, Tom Hubbard saves.
2. NP – Fazel Koriya’s corner sets up Darryl Smith who puts the ball into the box, Stuart Smeathers heads on to Greg Ling who puts his header wide.
3. NP – Tom Hubbard collects Fazel Koriya’s shot from the edge of the area.
11. NP – GOAL 1-0. Another Fazel Koriya corner reaches Greg Ling, his attempt is parried by Tom Hubbard, Adam Pryke is first to react as he hammers ball home to open the scoring.
15. NP – GOAL 2-0. Darryl Smith receives the ball with his back to goal, he is given too much time and space as he turns and slots the ball into the back of the net.
21. NP – Ollie Wilkinson puts in a good cross, Darryl Smith rises to beat the keeper to the ball but can only put his header wide.
22. OT – Tom Bennett threads the ball through to Chris Anastasi who is denied by a great tackle from Ollie Wilkinson.
23. NP – Dom Lawless shoots to the near post as Tom Hubbard saves with his feet.
26. OT – Tom Gamble’s shot is blocked by Ollie Wilkinson. Newport struggle to clear as Adam Bolley drives his fierce shot wide.
29. NP – Darryl Smith’s corner evades everyone and the ball arrives to Jamie Burrows at the back post who shoots wide as he is falling backwards.
32. NP – Darryl Smith’s cross-shot is palmed over by Tom Hubbard.
38. NP – Ollie Wilkinson sets up Dom Lawless who shoots wide.
45. NP – A delicious through ball by Darryl Smith finds Dom Lawless who shoots across goal and agonisingly wide.
45+0.5 Half Time: 2-0
53. OT – Sam Birton goes on a good run but only manages shoot straight at keeper Mark Osborn.
53. NP – Mark Osborn finds Dom Lawless with his quick upfield ball, Tom Hubbard saves with his legs.
54. OT – Sam Birton’s free kick finds Tom Bennett who shoots across goal and narrowly wide.
58. OT – Sam Birton shoots from outside the area, Mark Osborn is down smartly to save.
60. NP – Dom Lawless shoots wide.
90+3. NP – Darryl Smith plays a clever one-two with Dom Lawless on the halfway line before bearing down on goal. Tom Hubbard stands his ground to neatly save the resultant shot.
90+2.5 Full Time: 2-0
The Swan’s started at a blistering pace, their accurate and composed passing and clever movement off the ball was impressive and meant Oadby were under sustained pressure for the first twenty minutes. When the second goal arrived it looked as if it was an afternoon where Newport could pick their score such was their dominance. However, Oadby appeared to have approached the game in fifteen minute blocks. The first fifteen was disastrous, conceding two and they could easily have conceded another two. The second fifteen saw them consolidate, as the Swan’s took their foot of the peddle, Oadby regained their composure to get a foothold into the match. To their credit, the third fifteen minute block saw them compete well as they retained possession and played some good football, although, the Newport goal was rarely threatened.
The second period was fairly tame and mirrored the final fifteen minutes the first half with both sides cancelling each other out. With a little more penetration Oadby could have rescued something from the contest but in truth, with their work done at the start, Newport contained their opponents and defended well. This was the first match for many of the starting eleven who had missed last week’s FA Cup defeat to Biggleswsde United, some players looked a little short on full match fitness but extremely sharp in awareness and passing. Darryl Smith, once again, had an excellent match and is showing great improvement on last season. Dom Lawless was unlucky not to get on the score sheet and remains on 98 goals for Newport, on this form it is only a matter of time until he nets his 100th.
1-0 Adam Pryke (11 mins)
2-0 Darryl Smith (15 mins)
Half Time: 2-0
Full Time: 2-0
Newport Pagnell Town
Darryl Smith (68 mins)
Liam Smyth (71 mins)
Fazel Koriya (73 mins)
Tom Hubbard (88 mins)
Ben Taylor (88 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Ollie Wilkinson
3. Remy Forrester
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya (14. Paul Edgeworth, 73 mins)
11. Jamie Burrows
12. Scott Mulkern
15. George Shrieves
16. Dave Baker
1. Tom Hubbard
2. Ben Taylor
3. Kieran Henfrey (15. Jordan Pick, 71 mins)
4. Tom Gamble (c)
5. Kieran Bedford
6. Reuben Joseph-Walker
7. Chris Anastasi (14. Harry Allcock, 67 mins)
8. Adam Bolley (12. Sam Slater, 81 mins)
9. Lamar Parkes
10. Tom Bennett
11. Sam Birton
21. Charlie Andrews
– Sam Anderson
– Richard Armitage
– Piotr Kwak
Artwork courtesy of Bravo Sierra Designs.
Photographs courtesy of Tony Webster.