Boston Town 1-4 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 20th August 2016
Kick off 15:00
Tattershall Road (DWB) Stadium, Boston
11. NP – Darryl Smith’s free kick is pushed away by Leigh Cook.
14. BT – GOAL 1-0. Jack Wightwick slips the ball through to Alex Beck who leaves the Swan’s defence flat footed before rounding the keeper to slot home the opener.
16. BT – Jack Wightwick shoots high.
21. BT – Alex Beck heads over the bar after getting on the end of a Matt Kennedy free kick.
25. NP – Darryl Smith’s dangerous centre is brilliantly defended, with Matt Kennedy heading the ball to safety.
29. NP – A lovely one-two between Fazel Koriya and Greg Ling before a great run down the flank sees Koriya shoot just wide.
35. BT – Fraser Bayliss shoots high from the edge of the area.
36. NP – Dom Lawless sets up Fazel Koriya, his shot is palmed away by Leigh Cook.
43. BT – A good run from Fraser Bayliss before passing to Alex Beck who shoots straight at Mark Osborn.
45+2.5 Half Time: 1-0
48. NP – Darryl Smith heads Fazel Koriya’s free kick wide.
49. NP – GOAL 1-1. Dom Lawless beats the defence before running on to slip the ball past the keeper.
54. BT – Mark Osborn easily catches Danny Trott’s shot.
58. NP – Paul Edgeworth releases Darryl Smith who beats his man before forcing Leigh Cook into a good save.
59. BT – Alex Beck shoots into the side netting.
61. NP – Fazel Koriya sets up Darryl Smith who is denied by a great tackle from Simon Ashton, the ball falls to Greg Ling who flips a pass to Paul Edgeworth who volleys narrowly wide.
69. NP – Leigh Cook saves Dom Lawless’ shot from the edge of the area.
74. NP – GOAL 1-2. Paul Edgeworth gets onto the end of Dave Baker’s long free kick to loop his header over the keeper and into the top corner.
77. NP – GOAL 1-3. Dom Lawless threads the ball to Fazel Koriya who runs on to put the ball through the keeper’s legs to score.
80. NP – GOAL 1-4. Ollie Wilkinson plays a beautiful ball to Fazel Koriya who rifles his shot past the keeper.
90+4.0 Full Time: 1-4
With 9 defeats and 9 drawsTattersall Road has not been a happy hunting ground for Newport. A perfect record in the league meant that the Swan’s came into the match with high hopes of their first win away to Boston Town in 19 attempts. Their confidence was bolstered further by the home side’s disastrous start to the season; occupying bottom spot having lost all four of their league and cup matches with three defeats coming at the DWB Stadium. However, in the first half the Poacher’s ripped up the form book as they competed well, were resolute in defence, strong in midfield and positive in attack and it was Newport who came in trailing to a goal gifted to Alex Beck who gratefully took the opportunity to confidently fire his side in front.
The Swan’s came out strongly after the break as their experience began to tell against a largely youthful Boston team. Dom Lawless coolly slotted home his 99th career goal for the Swan’s to restore parity and the Poacher’s heads visibly dropped as all their hard work from the first forty five minutes was undone. For all Newport’s subsequent dominance it wasn’t until Paul Edgeworth’s 74th minute looping header beat Leigh Cook to signal a devastating three goals in six minutes, orchestrated by Fazel Koriya, that Newport took control. Boston failed live with Koriya who had his best game of the season so far as he added a further two goals to secure the the three points that had for so long eluded them. The rain that was forecast for this corner of Lincolnshire held off but both teams had to contend with strong swirling winds and should be applauded for serving up an entertaining contest considering the conditions. Despite the scoreline Boston should not feel too disheartened as they played some good football and will only become stronger as the season progresses.
1-0 Alex Beck (14 mins)
Half Time: 1-0
1-1 Dom Lawless (49 mins)
1-2 Paul Edgeworth (74 mins)
1-3 Fazel Koriya (77 mins)
1-4 Fazel Koriya (80 mins)
Full Time: 1-4
Simon Ashton (38 mins)
Newport Pagnell Town
Dave Baker (40 mins)
Fazel Koriya (76 mins)
1. Leigh Cook
2. Lawrence Lambley
3. Matt Kennedy (15. Joe Crowther, 81 mins)
4. Simon Ashton (c)
5. Josh Sunter
6. Richard Ford (16. Daniel Wood, 81 mins)
7. Tom Chaelesworth (14. Jack Dykes, 64 mins)
8. Jack Wightwick
9. Danny Trott
10. Alex Beck
11. Fraser Bayliss
12. Lucas Sparrow
17. Daryl Clare
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Ollie Wilkinson
3. Dave Baker
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth (14. George Shrieves, 85 mins)
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling (15. Scott Mulkern, 85 mins)
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Paul Edgeworth (12. Keith Williams, 78 mins)
12. Keith Williams
14. George Shrieves
15. Scott Mulkern
– Ian Ruddock
– Phillip Hayes
– Andy Murray
Photographs by Andy Gunn.