Newport Pagnell Town 3-5 Wisbech Town

Newport Pagnell Town 3-5 Wisbech Town
ChromaSport United Counties League, Premier Division
Saturday 14th January 2017
Kick off 15:00
Willen Road, Newport Pagnell
Attendance: 119

Swans Back Down To Earth

The first chance of the match came to the swans when good work down the left from Keith Williams and Luke Emery opened up the Wisbech defence, Emery’s cross was only half cleared and the ball fell nicely for Elliott Sandy who crashed the ball against the angle of bar and post. Within a couple of minutes the visitors were ahead when William Smith’s corner was cleared straight to Michael Frew who found the back of the net from the edge of the six-yard area. Newport had to wait until close to the half hour mark to restore parity, a sublime through ball from Ben Ford released Dom Lawless who poked the ball past the advancing Sam Vince. The score at the break reflected the balance of play as the sides went in level after a scrappy first half.


The game was turned on its head in the sixty-first minute when Harry Limb appeared to be in an offside position before going on to score, the decision, or lack of it, was hotly contested by all eleven Swans players. In the process the hosts lost their composure and Wisbech took full advantage, attacking with pace and flair, making the most of their opportunities to score three more goals in the next ten minutes. Adam Millson assuredly scored from the penalty spot before Limb showed good skill to claim his second after a Junior Muya slip allowed the striker in on goal. Two minutes later another defensive error allowed William Smith to slot home the Fenmen’s fifth. Newport finally rallied and saw a glimmer of hope when Emery’s sweet strike from the edge of the area reduced the deficit. For all their effort, the Swans struggled to break down a stout Wisbech defence and it took a moment of madness from captain Jonathon Fairweather three minutes from time to gift them their final goal, Vince showed great awareness to save at the feet of Ford before Fairweather inexplicably ran past the keeper to kick the prostrate Ford, Lawless converted the resultant penalty for his second goal but it was too little too late. Despite the eight goals this was not a game that will stay long in the memory, however, Wisbech will be delighted with the win and the three points that their attacking flair deserved.

NPTFC Supporters Association Man of the Match: Keith Williams



Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
[Yellow, 64 mins]
2. Ollie Wilkinson
3. Keith Williams
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
[Subbed, 83 mins]
5. Junior Muya
6. Ben Ford
7. Elliott Sandy
8. Greg Ling
[Yellow, 14 mins]
[Subbed, 77 mins]
9. Luke Emery
[Goal, 79 mins]
10. Dom Lawless
[Goal, 28 mins]
[Goal (penalty), 87 mins]
11. Scott Mulkern
[Subbed, 83 mins]
12. Adam Pryke
[On for 4, 83 mins]
14. Gary Brook
[On for 8, 77 mins]
15. Kelvin Osei-Addo
[On for 11, 83 mins]


Wisbech Town
1. Sam Vince
2. Edgaras Buzas
[Subbed, 73 mins]
3. Luke Hipwell
[Subbed, 77 mins]
4. Luke Wilson
5. Jonathon Fairweather (c)
[Yellow, 87 mins]
6. Adam Millson
[Goal (penalty), 64 mins]
7. Liam Adams
8. Luke Kennedy
9. Michael Frew
[Goal, 11 mins]
10. Harry Limb
[Goal, 61 mins]
[Goal, 70 mins]
11. William Smith
[Goal, 72 mins]
12. Alex Beck
[On for 2, 73 mins]
14. Lewis Sturman
[On for 3, 77 mins]
[Yellow, 86 mins]
15. Scott Johnson
[Not Used]


Match Officials

– Nicholas Fuller
– James Anderson
– Mark Connolly


Photographs courtesy of Tony Webster
Report by Andy Gunn, NPTFC Media Team


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s